Looking for small positives is not a matter of thinking positively in negative circumstances. Looking for small positives is an attitude that helps us seek out the best opportunities and the best resources in every setting. If all we ever see is the negatives, we end up reacting only to the negatives. If we look for small positives, we have an opportunity to use the small positives to our advantage and use the small positives as a resource upon which we can build. Our life is filled with small positives but when we are in a negative frame of mind, we too often do not even look for the small positives, let alone see them. You cannot build upon a negative circumstance as easy as you can a positive circumstance. Most often, a negative circumstance requires time and resources to turn the negative into a positive. Negative circumstances like mistakes require fixing if fixing is possible. Positive circumstances not only require no fixing, but positive circumstances can be used to overcome those matters, issues, and events that are negative. In your life, you can do great things with your positive attributes, your positive talents, your positive traits, and your positive abilities. Your positives are your assets. Your negatives are your liabilities.
Have you ever been driving and not paying attention to your speed until you noticed the Officers lights flashing in your rearview mirror? Here are a few excuses that have been given by motorist who was speeding.
- My gas pedal got stuck.
- Don’t I get a couple miles per hour over when I’m taking my grandchildren to the airport?
- I didn’t know I was speeding because my lights were off.
- My speedometer is broken.
- I had a bee in my car.
- I’ve been drinking and I wanted to get off the road quickly.
- I am driving my friend to the hospital. He has alcohol poisoning. (The driver was also found to be intoxicated.)
- (After crashing) I put high test gas in my car and it caused me to lose control. (He was also found to be intoxicated.)
- I’m trying to catch that UFO. Will you try to catch it for me?
- I get 10 extra miles per hour in the fast lane.
- I’m wearing shoes that are really heavy and they make the gas pedal go down more.
- My doctor gave me the wrong medication.
- I’m headed to a divorce proceeding and if you met her, sir, you would understand why I’m in a hurry.
- I just got my license back after having it suspended and I’m not used to driving.
Many are speeding spiritually also and never take the time to slow down and enjoy their Christian life. Even Jesus slowed down from time to time notice what the Scripture says about that. Mark 1:35—And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. If the Lord needed to do it don’t you think that you do too?
We do not always understand why God does what He does or how He does what He does. When we look at the world and see what the birth of Jesus in humble beginnings did for the world, we begin to get just an inkling of how God’s wisdom and love work in our life. In a worldly sense, you would think Mary and Joseph would have deserved better than a stinking cave where livestock was kept. In a worldly sense, you would think the king of the world should have been born in the world’s largest castle with hundreds of thousands of people standing by for the news. In a worldly sense, you would think the birth of Jesus should have set off some kind of beautiful revolution that changed the world in an instant with no pain and no suffering. However, in the worldliest way of looking at how things make sense, the world does not make sense. In the worldliest way of looking at the world, the world has gone insane. In our insanity, God is always trying to change the world from its insanity to sanity by the love brought to the world by a baby being born to simple people, in a stinking cave where livestock was kept.